The Ultimate Stephen King Fan: Jennifer Ross
Hometown: Kyle, Texas
Profession: Project Manager in the Tech Industry
There are only two things that scare Jennifer Ross: Spiders, and clowns. So naturally, one of her favorite Stephen King movies is IT. “Tim Curry’s portrayal of Pennywise was magnificently terrifying,” she says, “and for most people I know, including myself, created some sufficient nightmares.” Ross says that what attracts her to King’s movies is the author’s ability to create such rich characters and environments, especially in dealing with the theme of isolation. “The Shining, Misery, the idea of total isolation, of that moment when reality and fantasy blur and you don’t know what’s real anymore, that always gets me, ” she says. Though she claims never to have done anything fan obsessive towards King, Ross says she is always first in line for his newest book or film adaptation, and admits that his work would make her think twice about going on a secluded trip in the woods. “I think there are moments in all our lives where we feel like we are trapped in some surreal place or surrounded by crazy people,” Ross explains. “Fortunately we don’t have to battle demon clowns before we go home.”
Ultimate Stephen King Fan Quiz Answers:
1. The characters played by James Caan, Jack Nicholson, Timothy Hutton, and Johnny Depp all have the same career. What is it?
2. Whose pinup poster does Andy Dufrense first put on his wall in The Shawshank Redemption?
3. What film features the taunting phrase, “Chow down Wide Load”?
4. In The Mist, which characters do Mrs. Carmody demand as a human sacrifice?
Amanda and Billy
5. What 1992 film bore Stephen King’s name, despite multiple lawsuits against New Line to have it removed?
6. What room number is little Danny Torrance told to avoid at all costs in The Shining?
217 in the book, 237 in the movie
7. In Christine, how many miles are on the odometer when the possessed car is destroyed?
8. Which novella from Different Seasons is the only one in the collection that hasn’t been adapted to film?
A Winter’s Tale: The Breathing Method
10. “REDRUM” was written in red on a wall in The Shining. But it also reappeared in a made-for-TV movie. Name it.
11. In Dolores Claiborne, a murder occurs during what major meteorological event?
12. Which King movie has the most sequels?
13. What is the tongue-twister that Bill Denbrough uses to overcome his stutter in IT?
“He thrusts his fists against the posts and still he insists he sees the ghosts”
14. Two books written under King’s pseudonym, Richard Bachman, have been adapted into films. What are they?
The Running Man and Thinner
15. Which film inspired a hit song by the Ramones?